Today I transplanted some of the plants I’ve grown from seeds. It wasn’t necessarily the best day according to the lunar calendar, but it just worked out that way. Tomorrow is the full moon and if I’d waited any longer, it would have been even worse for my leafy plants. So I kind of figured it was now or never. I just made it under the wire – after 5pm (which is about when I finished) is the dead time of the moon phase change. Oh Lordy, this lunar calendar thing can be a hassle (which is one reason why I generally ignore it).
The first plants I dealt with were the lettuce. I’ve had this pot growing happily in it’s protected spot under the house since I planted it on 7 June (and I’ve even been harvesting leaves for salads from it). To be honest, I’d planned to leave the plants in situ until their dying days. I’ve had some horrific experiences separating and transplanting lettuce seedlings, but I realised that at some point I have to learn how to have a win here so I bit the bullet. Sort of. I thinned and transplanted one row of lettuce. The 2nd row I left undisturbed in its pot. I guess I put a bet both ways.
Note the small hole in the bed to the right of the last planting (on the border between wet and dry soil). Last night the bandicoot was investigating this bed. This is the bed that is dusted with coffee grounds. So far no cat diggings but I guess bandicoots don’t mind the smell of brew!
Next came the cabbage. My pot with 3 cabbages (from 4 seeds) became 2 pots with one cabbage each plus one cabbage tucked in the back corner of herb garden at the foot of the stairs. Not much has grown there (bad light? heavy soil? insufficient watering?). Anyway, if the cabbage dies, it’s not done any worse than the rocket, kohlrabi, radishes…. I’ve tried in that spot. The 2 in pots will hopefully be easy to move around to get sun or shade depending on the climate. My cabbage experiment continues.
The cabbage pot also housed a couple of wild tomato plants. Those went into the bed with the lettuce. (My success with wild tomatoes is nil but since they are there and they cost me nothing, I’m giving them a chance.)
Finally I planted some spring onions along the end of the tomato/lettuce row. These would prefer to be planted next week during the full moon so this half-row make up half of a lunar calendar experiment. I will plant another row next week and monitor the progress. I have no idea if I actually think the plants that go in the ground during the full moon will do better but I want to find out if they do.
Update 24/8: The 3rd cabbage plant, the one that went into the ground rather than a pot is gone – just a small stub remains. I suspect a possum ate it because some kohlrabi nearby also had stems snipped off. Too much of the plant is gone for it to have been snails or caterpillars. The other 2 are doing pretty well but both have been attacked by the caterpillar babies of a cabbage moth. I’ve pulled more than 10 of the little green worms off the leaves of the plants. Here is the result of their snacking.