With our chickens now laying, it’s time to think about trying something more ambitious than poached eggs.
Yesterday we made a meal that is destined to become one of our favourites, Creamy Baked Eggs & Spinach. It works for breakfast, lunch or even dinner. A perfect vegetarian dish that’s quick and simple to prepare. Here’s the recipe.
- Heat in a pan until soft:
– 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
– 10 g butter
– 1 green onion, leek or small onion chopped finely
- Add 100 g of roughly chopped spinach to wilt then cook on high for 2 mins until all water evaporates
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Divide spinach mixture between 2 ovenproof containers
- Crack egg into each container
- Mix together 1 Tbsp cream plus 1 tsp white wine vinegar and drizzle over each egg
- Bake 15-20 mins in 180 degree (350 F) preheated oven
My eggs were small and I overcooked them. I like the yolks to run. The next time I’ll go for less cooking and more cream+vinegar (a nice tangy sauce to complement the eggs and bitterness of the spinach).
This recipe is very flexible and forgiving. I think it would also work with zucchini instead of spinach, a bit of garlic, some chilli, whatever tastes you fancy.
The eggs, onion and spinach all came from my garden. I couldn’t be happier with the output from my suburban back yard.
The egg/spinach bake was lunch. For dinner we used our last egg of the day in a Carbonara sauce to go with our pasta. (That was store-bought pasta, but since I use an egg when making fresh pasta, I suspect I’ll be making more of it in the future.)