Back in September of 2011, Frank and I bought some strawberry plants. They spread and filled their tiny bed but didn’t produce a lot of fruit, probably because they didn’t get enough sun. So, almost exactly one year ago, I transplanted bunches of them to a new bed. The bed was in full sun and those strawberry plants rewarded me by bearing an incredible number of berries for months through spring and summer. Then they spread some more and filled the bed to overflowing.
This past weekend I spent some time thinning the plants for their own good and so I could take some with me when we move to the farm. As an aside, the farm is about 2 kilometres from where we bought those first 3 strawberry plants. Almost poetic!
Jas, Maria and Paul benefited from my thinning as well since I gave a bunch of surplus plants away on freecycle.org. I like thinking those 3 little plants have gone on to fill beds all over the region.
Back on the farm, a small hill was selected and some of the worst of the weeds removed (I didn’t want to totally clear it because I don’t want to lose my top soil if there is a good rain shower before the strawberries stabilise the hill).
And in went my strawberry plants – about 50 of them.
Now I simply sit back and wait for spring and bowls full of sweet strawberries. Just in case something goes wrong (that’s the voice of experience there), I have my back-up plants in a pot. I transplanted them a few weeks ago and they seem perfectly happy to live in this pot as long as I want them to (one is even flowering already and it’s mid-winter here). I’m as sure as I can be that I’ll be eating strawberries in a few months!