We’re down to the final kilos of honey from our January harvest. It’s been stored in 20 kilo buckets which we pour into the bucket with a tap before filling jars. Or we did before the honey crystallised.
Once it started getting too thick to pour into jars, I started spooning it into jars. Lordy, is that a slow process. I did about 30 jars that way and then decided there had to be a better way. Like re-liquefying the honey.
After a bit of debating as to the best approach that was: a) easy and b) didn’t raise the temp of the honey to a point that damaged some of the good stuff in the honey, hubby and I opted for a warm water bath. To this end we
– Filled a plastic box with hot water.
– Put the honey bucket(s-2 of them) in a plastic rubbish bag to stop water reaching the tap and possibly working it’s way into the honey (this failed as the bag ended up wet inside and out but no water made it into the honey – whew).
– Plunked the honey bucket in the water bath.
– Dropped in a “heater” which is designed to keep a bucket of brewing beer warmish.
– Insulated the entire thing with a sleeping bag and some towels.
– Waited, and kept waiting.
The whole process was slow and we had to take out cooled water to be replaced with hot water (below 40 C didn’t seem to do anything to the crystallised honey) but every time I peeked, the liquid honey increased and the lump of solid honey shrunk so I kept on waiting.
The next morning – about 24 hours after filling the box – the honey was pretty well liquefied. It still held plenty of crystals but the bucket could be poured and jars filled from the tap.
This filling method may not have been quicker than using those 2 spoons, but boy did it take a lot less effort.
In less than a week, the honey in the jars was solidifying and the remaining honey in the last bucket was un-pourable again, but the lion’s share of the honey is now in jars ready for honey lovers to take home, which was the objective.